Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Becoming Familiar With xbmc Bugs

This assignment proved to be a really interesting one.  We were once again tasked with doing some exercises from our online open source textbook, this time ones dealing with the xbmc bug tracker.  The assignment was broken up into four parts, so that is how I'll divide up this post:

1) Finding the oldest bug.
In the process of doing this exercise, I actually found some new functionality in the bug tracker which allows further refinement of which bugs to display.  I figured that because we are working exclusively in Linux for this project, I would start in the newly discovered section just for Linux bugs.  After doing this I was returned with 369 open tickets!  After sorting by date created, I found that the oldest bug was from November of 2003 and was dealing with a module called Requant.  It appears there is a problem with the C++ source code dealing with the re-sizing of video files, but the priority level on this is set to unimportant and the ticket has not been touched in over a year.  I think that this bug has not been resolved because the module was not needed in the first place, and that whatever functionality it was supposed to provide (the ability to re-size without decoding and then encoding again) was picked up by something else.

2) Create a bug tracker account.
Ha!  I was one step ahead of you, authors of Teaching Open Source, on this exercise.  Although, to be honest, this was not by design.  By creating an account to have the ability to post on the forum, a contributor also has access to the bug tracker.

3) Attempt to reproduce a bug.
4) Bug Triage.
Unfortunately, I began to experience problems connecting to their server at this point and was unable to stay logged into the bug tracker.  I plan on completing parts three and four tomorrow, and then posting my experience later that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment