Sunday, April 22, 2012

Database Concepts Should be Required

The title says it all!  I've had more than a few phone interviews with local companies over the last few weeks, and have noticed a common thread.  They have all, in some way or another, asked some kind of question related to databases.  These have ranged from simple (what's a relational database) to challenging (tell me the difference between an outer join and an inner join).  If I had not taken Database concepts last semester I would have completely choked on at least one of these interviews, where I had a good 5 detailed questions on the subject.  So why is this not a requirement?  I mean, everything on the internet uses some kind of database for storage (persistence layer to us professionals).  Someone graduating with a Computer Science degree without taking this class is left with a huge glaring hole in their knowledge base.  I know, I know...we can't make everything a requirement, Jason.  Where would we wedge in yet another required course?

Get rid of 350.  Plain and simple.  This class is interesting and helpful, but definitely should not be a requirement.  For those of you unfamiliar with the class, it is the second class (250 being the first) that we are required to take on computer chips and hardware.  We are taken on an adventure through the wonderful world of decoders, multiplexers, logic gates, and the like twice.  250 is a good class and should stay in the curriculum by all means.  In that class we are introduced into binary, computer logic, and basic circuit design.  This is needed and is a good idea.  Part 2 is not.  The students would be much better served by being given the chance to take Database.  In fact, a part 2 offering of DB concepts isn't a bad idea either!

By the way, I did great on all the database questions in my interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment